Dept. of Mississippi History Timeline
Department of Mississippi
American Legion Auxiliary
1927                
Mississippi won the Lillian Towne Trophy for having the highest percent of membership over the previous year.

The Department moved to action to aid those affected by the flood caused by levees breaking April 21, 1927, at Stops Landing near Greenville.  
National gave $5,550 total in aid.  “There is not space to chronicle the wonderful work done by Legion and Auxiliary and the relief they gave in this
time of terrible disaster, by far the worst that had ever been known in Mississippi.”

At state convention, it was instituted in the Dept. By-Laws that members of each district shall caucus to nominate District President and Vice
President, to be elected by the convention.

Mrs. Louis N. Julienne, Department President,  was appointed by the National President  to serve as Chairman of the Paris, France, National
Convention Parade Committee.  Mrs. Julienne was asked to serve as assistant secretary at National Convention.  The Department won three national
trophies at the Paris Convention.

1928                
Mrs. Julienne, now PDP, was endorsed for the office of National Vice-President of the Southern Division, subject to the action of the convention to
be held in San Antonio, Texas.  She was elected.

Changes to By-Laws included Department and Unit Officers not taking office until after National Convention, and the Department N.E.C. will be
elected.

Junior Membership and activities began during this year.

Publication of a Department paper began, to be mailed, free, to every member of the Auxiliary in Miss.  The first issue was released in November
1928.

Dept. President honored with the first invitation from a Legion Post, from Vicksburg, to make an address at their annual Armistice Day Services.

First Presidents and Secretaries Conference met in Indianapolis in December 1928.

First National increase in membership quota to each Department (10 percent).

1929        
The Seventh Annual Convention marked the first time the Dept. President was invited to make a report to the Legion.

Having proved “unsatisfactory,” the By-laws were changed to allow Department Officers assume their office after state convention.

1930                
A publicity contest began, with two categories:  one for Units with daily papers and one for Units with weekly papers.

Dept. President Mrs. J. Allison Hardy was appointed a member of the National Trophies and Awards Committee.

The Legion again asked the Department to contribute $25,000 to further its work with disabled veterans.  This money was raised by asking all Units to
send $.10 per member for the fund.  They did it.

Poppies made at the Gulfport Veterans Hospital now supplied Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama Departments.

Membership in the Department reached 2,398, it’s highest yet.

First joint Memorial Service was held at State Convention.

A complete set of officers pins were awarded to the new Unit for the year with the largest membership—won by the Sturgis Unit in District 1.

1933
This year marked by the closest cooperation between the Legion and Auxiliary in Mississippi.  The Dept. President was invited by the Commander
Arthur C. Short and Adjutant to accompany them on the Fall Round-Up and visited Units and Posts.  Mrs. Day spoke at six of the nine (the ninth
added in 1933) district meetings.

1937                
An outstanding year for Child Welfare work was recorded this year.  Five new Units were chartered, while two surrendered charters.  At the close of the
year, there were 66 active Units in the Department.

1938        
Five new units were formed this year, making a total of 71 Units in the Department, with membership at 2,732.  Thirty-two Units received the National
President’s Citation and six National trophies were awarded to the Department at National Convention.

1939        
Membership reached 3,043.  The office of secretary and treasurer were combined into one office and excluded this paid officer from the Executive
Committee membership.

1940        
For the first time, a Child Welfare Caravan was organized, under the direction of Dr. E. LeRoy Wilkins of Clarksdale.  Mrs. Luther Manship of Jackson
was the program chairman for the Department.

1940                
The Department office/headquarters was moved to the War Memorial Building in Jackson.  New office furniture was purchased.

1941  
Membership reached 3,203, with 75 Units.  

A Kimball piano and bench was presented to the War Memorial Building by the Auxiliary for the auditorium as a memorial to women of Mississippi
who served in all wars.

Seventy-five dollars was contributed toward the purchase of a mobile blood unit by the Southern Division.
             
December 8, 1941                
The American Legion Auxiliary became a war-time Auxiliary.

1942                
With the world at war, travel conditions made it difficult for the Dept. President to visit the Units.  

Approximately 121,000 poppies were sold during the year, and $2,349 was spent by the Auxiliary for cigarettes and tobacco, and $700 was donated
by Units for the Christmas Gift Shop at the facilities on the Gulf coast.

Auxiliary contributions were many, including:

  • Two radios to the Gulfport Hospital (at a cost of $112)
  • $73 to the National Student Nurse fund
  • $500 to Camp Van Dorn, Centreville, for equipment for the Day Rooms
  • Units in the Department furnished Day Rooms for Camp McCain, Jackson Air Base, Columbus Air Base, and Camp Flora (Ordnance).
  • Assisted in Scrap Drives; collected records for fighting men, assisted in recruiting WACS, WAVES, and Marines; in War Bond and
    Stamp Booths; sponsored Molly Pitcher Tag Day for sale of Bonds and Stamps; and worked with the Red Cross in making bandages,
    knitting, packing kits for soldiers and cooperated in various other war efforts.
  • The Dept. Executive Committee purchased a $500 retirement bond and it purchased a gavel bell to be known as the Virgie Day
   Memorial Gavel Bell.
  • Supplied magazines for men in “government hospitals”
  • Furnished curtains for sunrooms, vases for bedside tables, ash trays and other necessities for the new Foster General Hospital in Jackson

“Membership is ever increasing.  The progress of the American Legion Auxiliary has awakened the interest of women who have
been eligible for a long time, but had no desire to join.  The  financial status of the Auxiliary at this time is excellent.”

1946-47
Mrs. C. D. Williams of Yazoo City served as Southern Division Vice President.

1961-62        
The Department joined other women’s organizations and the State Health Department in planning a Water Pollution Control Project, the first of its
kind in Mississippi.

1963-64       
Mississippi’s Girls State program incorporated as Mississippi Division Girls State, Inc.  The board of directors was set-up.  Mrs. Sara McCorkle  
announced this as her last year as director.
Still want to know more?  Click here.